Ventimiglia di Sicilia is a town in the Province of Palermo, located in the autonomous region of Sicily, Italy. Ventimiglia was founded in the 1620s by Don Girolamo del Carretto. The town was named after his wife, Beatrice Ventimiglia. In 1863, "di Sicilia" was added to Ventimiglia, to differentiate the city from the town of Ventimiglia in Liguria. Though "Ventimiglia di Siclia" is its official name, in Sicilian, the city is known as Calamigna. The city is neighbored by the towns Baucina, Bolognetta, Caccamo, Casteldaccia and Ciminna. The town is also home to an advanced observatory (the Osservatorio di Ventimiglia di Sicilia "Ezio Brancato", Ventimiglia di Sicilia Observatory) run by The Organizzazione Ricerche e Studi di Astronomia (Organization for the Research and Study of Astronomy) or ORSA, built in 2001.
Sicilian Vespers in Italian history, name given the rebellion staged by the Sicilians against the Angevin French domination of Sicily; the rebellion broke out at Palermo at the start of Vespers on Easter Monday, Mar. 30, 1282. The revolt quickly spread over the island; nearly all the French in Sicily were massacred. Although basically a move for Sicilian independence, the insurrection was instigated as part of a widespread conspiracy against the Angevin ruler of Naples and Sicily, King Charles I , who dreamed of establishing an Angevin empire in the East. Byzantine Emperor Michael VIII financed the plot, hoping to preoccupy Charles and thus avert the Angevin's imminent invasion of the Byzantine Empire. John of Procida , a loyal supporter of the Hohenstaufen, and King Peter III of Aragòn, who claimed rule of the island as the husband of Constance, heiress of the Hohenstaufen claim there, also joined the intrigue. Peter accepted the throne offered by the Sicilians, and a 20-year war for possession of Sicily followed between the Angevin kings of Naples and the Aragonese kings of Sicily. The rising secured Sicilian independence for more than a century, with the house of Aragòn keeping Sicily and the Angevin dynasty holding the S Italian mainland kingdom of Naples. The two territories were finally reunited (1442) under Alfonso V of Aragòn.